Thursday, December 17, 2009

当我们同在一起



I think this drama is a hundred times better than "Little Nonya". Its a pity it doesn't seem to be getting as much of a hype as the former though.

I like the way it has given us a glimpse into the life of teenagers living through the 60s. Its like a really good representation of our parents' own lives, how they grew up and stuff. I asked my mum if she actually encountered some of the problems and stuff mentioned in the drama, and she was like "Oh my god, they really put that in? I used to do that/see that/play that all the time!" Its amazing really. Though we are a relatively young nation, Singapore does have an amazingly rich pool of culture and history that we can tap into, and I think we really should create more shows and stories on life then - all the other kind of contemporary dramas that Mediacorp produces are honestly quite ridiculous, far fetched and stupid (for example, the current drama airing at the 7 O'clock time slot).

Oh and unlike "The Little Nonya", "Together" is actually rather light-hearted! Its seriously damn funny! Its comedic, but at the same time, it never fails to have a heart. If there's one thing I hated about "The Little Nonya", its the way it progressed into such an over-the-top tragic melodrama. "Together" managed to steer away from being too tragic, and manages to have this right balance of light-hearted downright hilarious scenes that managed to capture the simplicity of life in the 1960s, with dramatic scenes that explore the emotional turmoils of life then. I never knew that all those young actors and actresses from Mediacorp actually could pull off comedy with such a comic timing! Quite impressive I must say.

In general, I think I'm drawn more towards period dramas. I like watching shows about people living in a different time. I think I've grown so tired of living in today's modern world that I kind of look forward to a form of escapism away from the hustle and bustle of modernity. Life in the 60s looks so inviting, I hope to throw away everything and just go back to the days of playing Goh-Li, Chap Jee Kee and Tikam. Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment