Sunday, September 12, 2010

and so it ends...



















I'm currently high on Mocha right now, so I decided to get this entry up and running while I'm in creative and chatty mood. Just came home from Hwachong's annual MAF. I've got to be honest, this is probably going to be my last year attending MAF. I know I've been contemplating that every year, but after 6 different MAFs, I think this is really it. Its not that MAF has lost its meaning, its just that I think its time for me to take a step back and let it all go. Its time to accept that I've got to embark onto my adult life and to really venture out into the wild and crazy world. Every year MAF serves as some sort of escape route from facing the realities of growing up, where once a year, you can just go back to a school that's my Hogwarts, to feel safe being surrounded by its 4 walls, but I really think its time I stopped relying of this sort of escapism.

I know that I'll probably miss MAF, but the fact is, with each passing year, I feel that there's a new generation of Hwa Chongians who will come back to Hwa Chong and keep the spirit and the flame alive. Its really time for us to hand that torch to them. We'll work to keep that flame burning in a different way, doing our part to build a better home, a better nation, a better world for the future generations to come.

So I've decided that this year's MAF will be my last. Maybe one day I'll decide to come back. But I foresee that that day won't be anytime soon. It probably be a day 10 years down the road, where I'm happily married and I'll bring my wife and kids down to see the tradition that made me so proud to be a Hwa Chongian. But til then, its goodbye MAF. Thanks for all the wonderful memories. You'll be a tradition that will live on and on.

"多年以后又再相逢
我们都有了疲倦的笑容
问一声我的朋友 何时再为我吹奏
是否依旧是否依旧" - 细水长流

4 comments:

  1. but that's missing the entire point of maf, isn't it? i always felt that this was one of the things that makes hc special - that once a year, seniors and juniors alike will come together and celebrate being part of a big, old family... take away the old seniors and its just different already. heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't want to go back anymore leh. i dunno, it makes me sad to go back every year. i need its getting less and less special. the 'oomph' isn't there anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but i think its just me. HAHA totally my own opinion. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. is it because there's like lesser and lesser pple from our batch turning up, and that the place looks more and more foreign as they are filled with new and younger faces?

    ReplyDelete